View Single Post
Bloodwolf

Old November 7th, 2020, 10:52 AM
Sendric. I have a dilemma.

I want the DC to show in the name for Spell-Like Abilities like in my snips and I want to make the sla entries as multi useful as possible. The problem is many Spell-Like Abilities have multiple Spell Levels. One monster could use a Cleric version and another could use the Sor/Wiz version that is a different level. Multi useful with determining the Spell Level later requires a lot of custom scripting in the next entry that they are bootstrapped to each and every time. This causes the problem of extra work every time.

So the options are as follows:

1. Create one super generic entry for a Spell-Like Ability like Suggestion and then use scripts in the entry Spell-Like Abilities: [Insert monster name] to put the DC in the live name. The problem with this is you have to tie the Suggestion spell description in the generic entry and it shows the Spell Level for the description that you tie it to. And that could be different from the one that the monster uses. For example; if you tie to the Cleric version of the spell it will show a Spell Level of 2 but if the monster uses the Sor/Wiz spell list it is a Spell Level of 3, and vice versa. I would prefer not to use this method for that very reason.

2. Create a sort of generic entry for a Spell-Like Ability like Suggestion and make it Spell Level specific at that time. The advantage is the script for the DC will be right in the entry and anytime you bootstrap it the DC will automatically pull over without extra work every time. The disadvantage is that you will have to create multiple entries for each Spell-Like Ability, one for each Spell Level listed. I prefer this method because the spell description that is tied to each entry can be the correct Spell Level. I figure the easiest way to label these would be slaSuggestSL2 and slaSuggestSL3 for examples.

My question is which would you like me to do?

Last edited by Bloodwolf; November 7th, 2020 at 10:54 AM.
Bloodwolf is offline   #1072 Reply With Quote