View Single Post
JustinThomason

Old July 18th, 2015, 02:30 PM
Like AEIOU I've found the player view to be a bit frustrating from time to time. I'm running a wilderness adventure with a strong hexcrawl/exploration feel (Paizo's Kingmaker to be exact). I've been using the player view to reveal the overland map as the players have explored the wilderness, but I have to rely on a VTT for actual combat.

We've made it work so far; the big display shows the overland map and any other portrait "handouts" while several players log into the VTT on laptops through the LAN to manage combat.

I would like more integration, and either a VTT module for RW, or a partnership to integrate with an existing VTT through an API would be most welcome. However, I've pretty much accepted the fact that RW is really a replacement for my GM binder more than a replacement for my battlemat, and I'd rather Lone Wolf focus on making RW the best campaign management tool it can be rather than trying to tack on a VTT. The system I've set up works fine, even if it can be a little clunky. In a pinch, if I only had my computer at the table, I could always start a second instance of my VTT program and have it log in to the server as a Player and have that showing on the big screen with the GM view showing on the main screen.

The version control and such that AEIOU mentioned can get a little frustrating, but I basically treat my VTT as a fancy set of minis that allow for line of sight and lighting, with a very simple HP tracker and Initiative module - I rely on HL for current statuses and applying bonuses and the like.

As with most things, the trick seems to be playing to RW's strengths, and using other programs to fill the gaps (like using HL for character management).
JustinThomason is offline   #8 Reply With Quote