View Single Post
Maidhc O Casain

Old February 20th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
In the description of the Animal Type (Bestiary, pg. 306), it says "Proficient with no armor unless trained for war."

Rather than restricting it to light armor proficiency, I've interpreted this as meaning that the Combat Training trick (from animal handling) grants light, medium, and heavy armor proficiencies.

Otherwise, the riding dog as listed in the bestiary would not be proficient with the scale barding it's pictured in (admittedly, an illustration shouldn't be relied upon for this sort of thing). I haven't seen anything else that suggests a war-trained animal should need to purchase additional armor proficiencies. As 2 HD creatures, if they receive light armor proficiency free from combat training, the riding dog and horse don't have the feat slots available to purchase both medium and heavy armor proficiencies. So how do you get a mount in full plate barding?

If anyone's seen any errata or official answers that support this or refute it, I'm happy to alter my interpretation of the rules.
Apologies if this has been covered - I used my feeble search-fu to try and find it but didn't see another mention.

According to Jason Buhlman in the (FAQ, Combat Training does not grant armor proficiency. I made a Druid with a tiger companion and noticed that HL is still granting all of the armor proficiencies with the Combat Riding trick - any chance of this getting fixed in the next update?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Buhlman
Does training an animal using Handle Animal to be Combat Trained (pg 98 in the Core Rulebook) grant it Light Armor Proficiency?

No, using Handle Animal to train an animal, or mount, in this way does not grant it a free bonus feat. It is not unreasonable, however to assume that an animal specifically designed to be ridden (such as a horse or dog) could be purchased with Light Armor Proficiency as one of its feats (swapping out Endurance or Skill Focus respectively) for the same cost. (JMB, 10/21/10)

–Jason Bulmahn (10/21/10)
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #68 Reply With Quote