Thread: Share via LAN?
View Single Post
Dark Lord Galen

Old April 4th, 2014, 06:46 PM
Wow.. Rob.. my friend.... didn't mean to, as they say in this neck of the woods, "pet yer fur in the wrong direction"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
@DarkLordGalen: I think some clarification is critically necessary here...

1. The subject of the discussion back then was HERO LAB. This particular thread is all about the new REALM WORKS product. They are completely different things, so the back-and-forth we had back in past years was all about HERO LAB and had absolutely nothing to do with Realm Works.
And your right, some clarification was needed, HOWEVER, while the two are differing softwares, and from a programmers perspective, they are stand alone. My point has less to do with the thread origin (which you are correct was Herolab) and more to do with LAN integrations, which was the question at hand(of which Herolab AND Realm Works are progressing toward)This determination of progression is also based on past verbiage (here and elsewhere) and programming within Realm Works that it is intended to interact and work together with HeroLab.

So, while each part of the whole may utilize the mechanics of a LAN differently, it is (hopefully) still the intent to LAN integrate all parts. That is the point I was conveying.
OR to Re-phrase,
That it has been LONE WOLF's intent (since 2010) that Hero Lab AND Realm Works (as of the Kickstarter) would at some point be able to be utilized in a LAN environment.

Quote:
2. The dialog referenced by @Dr_Automaton was all about Realm Works (during the Kickstarter) and the desire of some users to allow all the logic of the cloud server to live on their local computer so that they could run all the same basic "Player Access" behaviors directly from the their computers over a LAN during the game. There was absolutely nothing discussed regarding Hero Lab in that conversation.
True, and I didn't imply there was.

Quote:
3. As is often the case when trying to run a TINY company, we ran into issues with some of the other things we were striving to do with Hero Lab and had new opportunities arise which caused us to re-prioritize where we focused our energies within the Hero Lab team. So we didn't end up getting the distributed, networked access for Hero Lab into place like we had hoped. It's still absolutely on the todo list. However, that's HERO LAB and has nothing to do with Realm Works, which is the focus of this forum.
Also True and I myself have said as much, that a small company (and a large one for that matter) has to prioritize things that best help their business model.
Quote:
If you wish to bring up the idea of networked access for Hero Lab, please do so within the HERO LAB forums.
Already have, as noted earlier.

Quote:
That's where the discussion belongs, as all it's going to do here is confuse everybody that's assuming the conversation is all about Realm Works.
Thanks!!
IF this has confused anyone, that was not the intent. My apologies if this has occurred within the community.
The intent, as noted above, was to convey that LoneWolf Development was looking at several LAN options for all their softwares including the new addition Realm Works. BUT even with the hiring of additional personnel from the kickstarter funding, they have also increased their work load for their business model success arc and it will take time based on past performance thru-put. And for those of you that complained about the release date slides, that wait for features could be days, months, or years. Only you can decide if its worth the wait.....
As for myself I own 12 Registered copies of hero lab and 1 of Realm Works, and can say even with delays, it is worth the wait.
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #7 Reply With Quote