View Single Post
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 15th, 2016, 02:31 AM
@Chemlak: Yes, the export/import mechanism WILL allow users to freely share stuff offline. That's both a benefit and liability, on many different levels.

Yes, copyright protection is a key concern. All the content we provide will be very secure and tied to individual user accounts, so users won't be able to re-share anything we sell. We'll also be making it possible for users to secure what they create, although that can't be as sophisticated. The mechanism we let users employ will utilize password-based encryption, but that won't stop an unscrupulous user from giving away the file and password. That's one of the key liabilities of doing it this way instead of always orchestrating it through the server.

I'm sure there will probably also be some users who enter copyrighted material and share it. If it's done offline, we won't be able to control it and intercede on behalf of a publisher (like we would if we controlled it all through our server). Fortunately, based on our experiences with Hero Lab, I don't think this will be a major area of concern. We've had lots of users purchase data packages from us that are also available through community support (all OGL), so it seems that users are generally happy to pay for stuff if the quality and utility is good.

Your self-anointed title of "Chief Calendar Champion" is still safely intact. We're not implementing calendars yet. However, being in Europe does highlight one particular drawback with respect to using Realm Works, especially as it pertains to real world dates. <hint> <hint>

As for bed, these are the core hours for my "second job". My "first job" (or "day job") is coordinating all the business stuff, solving technical challenges with team members, and everything that requires communicating with others during the day. My "second job" (or "night job") is doing big chunks of the development work for RW, which can best be done when everybody else is sleeping. So that's what I'm doing every night. Right now, I'm allowing myself to get distracted with forum posts, which I will probably be kicking myself for tomorrow.

Thanks!
rob is offline   #12 Reply With Quote