View Single Post
MNBlockHead

Old December 15th, 2015, 11:37 AM
I don't know what the technical issue involved with live sync are, but I'm guessing it is a big enough hurdle that this is something that won't be available for a while as LWD works through their development timeline. It just doesn't have very high priority based upon past user polls. I guessing (and it is only a guess) that Web access won't make a huge difference for those that want live sync. You still need to exit your realm and sync. Then the players need to refresh their web page. Not a heck of a lot different than the player view.

What the Web version MAY help with is printing. But given their IP-protection concerns, I don't image that they'll bend over backward making the printing from the web that convenient.

Personally, even if live-sync was available and worked flawlessly and automatically with little lag, I still doubt it would make any positive difference to my table, if any difference it would be negative. I don't wan't people all staring down at their own devices. It is a much better experience to have a second monitor to review maps and images. I don't really understand the point of sharing text in the player view, seems like it would just slow down the game, but other DMs can enlighten me.

Why do players need to see newly revealed content during play? You JUST TOLD them. I can see looking something up from several sessions ago, that's where RW really shows some value. But even then, at the table, I'd rather they just ask me, rather then fiddle around with the database on their laptop at the table.

Also, I don't consistently reveal on the fly. After the session, I'll go over the topics and articles and decide what to reveal or sometimes I need to edit or break snippets. I don't want to worry about this while running a game.

This is just my preference and opinion. I certainly support the idea of automatic live sync, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #15 Reply With Quote