View Single Post
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 20th, 2006, 12:57 PM
The value of using items really depends on the game system. For ST, you need to do a lot of manipulation of the weapons, so it's critical. However, for DA, I believe the weapons have fixed characteristics. As such, making them options doesn't provide any special advantages, plus it makes things a bit more work.

AB offers a LOT of different ways to solves various situations. The trick is in assessing the needs of a specific situation and then picking the optimal mechanism to address those needs. It's easy to find something that works in one situation and then try to use it everywhere, but that's a recipe for problems sometimes. It sounds like that might be the case in this situation.

-Rob

At 08:01 PM 3/18/2006, you wrote:

Quote:
Oh yeah, definately try making the weapon an item.

That puts the individual weapons on a seperate line instead of in one block as the option.

Just take the option you have, and create an item called stanweap or some such, and link to the item in the option by putting stanweap in the child entity field (lower right corner) and checking child is item. Delete the stuff you have in the option for the weapons.

Now make two items, the katana and the dagger, and click the button in the upper right that makes them an option as well (it looks like a little z shaped arrow).

Now go back to the item stanweap, and put the two options in it, the katana and the dagger.

Yeah, its quite a bit more than the method you were using; I was using the same thing myself, but once you set it up, the diffrence in the output is pretty serious. I set it up and looked at it, and decided the diffrence was worth about 40 hours of re-doing all the weapons (Starship Troopers has a very large number of weapons in it, and I'm slow [img]./modules/mdforum/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img] ).

This method gives you quite a bit more control, plus opens up all kinds of cool new tricks [img]./modules/mdforum/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img] .
rob is offline   #7 Reply With Quote