View Single Post
Dianae

Old July 15th, 2014, 04:48 PM
Disclaimer accepted and seconded, I am attempting to be as rational on this matter as I can as well. It is a frustration that does seem to be spreading. The following, unless quoted is my own intuition/thoughts, after attempting to sift through the ideas I have seen, not any official rulings, and there may be some variants out there that I have missed.
  1. I think one point of confusion between us(all inclusive here, not holding myself above anyone else) is the level based progression.
    • The Monk example I gave at first is a 2nd level character, whose Adjusted CL is roughly 3.
    • He is stronger than a Monk 2 or a Fighter 1/Rogue 1 by themselves due to flexibility and stronger saves, but weaker than a Monk and a Fighter/Rogue working together due to action economy.
    • He is weaker than a Monk 2/Fighter 1/Rogue 1, due to HD, BAB, and Skills, Access to Feats, etc.
  2. The second point of confusion about Gestalt Characters comes from the concept of taking multiple classes.
    • If a Gestalt Character is Dual Classed(with the possibility of entering a Prestige Class)
    • The "Munchkin" Method(no offense meant) is to dip when you multiclass. as I did with Mr. Monk.

Dual Class Gestalt is the easiest to calculate and adjudicate. SC's addon already handles most of that beautifully(and hopefully all, once out of beta)

With all of the various rules that came out in Unearthed Arcana, WotC did not have a lot of space to lay down a lot exposition on all of the rules, so the base rules as given were pretty thin and open to interpretation. Many of the rules in this book did make it into Pathfinder (traits, drawbacks, bloodlines, variant classes(archtypes)) in one way, shape, form, or fashion.

Many number crunchers looked at Gestalt and wondered what would happen if the gestalt character dipped a level into X or Y. The points that have any reference on this idea are as follows :

Quote:
Originally Posted by UA-pg72
To make a 1st-level gestalt character, choose two standard classes. (You can also choose any of the variant classes, though you can’t combine two versions of the same class.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UA-pg73
A gestalt character follows a similar procedure when he attains 2nd and subsequent levels. Each time he gains a new level, he chooses two classes, takes the best aspects of each, and applies them to his characteristics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UA-pg73
Because the player of a gestalt character chooses two classes at every level, the possibilities for gestalt characters are almost limitless.
The only listed limitations were the aforementioned not combining two variants of the same class and :
Quote:
  • Class features that two classes share (such as uncanny dodge) accrue at the rate of the faster class.
  • Gestalt characters with more than one spellcasting class keep track of their spells per day separately.
  • A gestalt character can’t combine two prestige classes at any level, although it’s okay to combine a prestige class and a regular class. Prestige classes that are essentially class combinations-such as the arcane trickster, mystic theurge, and eldritch knight-should be prohibited if you’re using gestalt classes, because they unduly complicate the game balance of what’s already a high-powered variant. Because it’s possible for gestalt characters to qualify for prestige classes earlier than normal, the game master is entirely justified in toughening the prerequisites of a prestige class so it’s available only after 5th level, even for gestalt characters.
To be honest, I think the biggest problem with getting this coded, is that the leveling system was explained in less than one page of text, about 1 1/3 columns of text to be precise.
Dianae is offline   #29 Reply With Quote