View Single Post
WatersLethe

Old March 18th, 2020, 09:43 AM
Q. What do you find hard/annoying/time consuming (but possible) to do on the phone? When have you started to do something on the phone, only to give up and do it on a larger device?

A. Editing HP is so much easier with a pencil and paper, that we didn't even consider using our phones for it. I tried once, and gave up after one hit because I had to navigate to HP, tap, wait for it to load, type in the numbers, then close. Also, frequently debuffs don't last long enough for it to be worth punching in, and we just use a condition card to remember and apply on the fly.

Q. What did you think the phone COULDN'T do that you only recently discovered was buried somewhere, but is extremely valuable to you?

A. I didn't think it was going to be a good enough resource for looking up skill/ability info, but it often is quicker to tap an ability and get the full description than going to Archives of Nethys.

Q. What are you partially or completely unable to do on the phone?

A. I haven't found something I *can't* do on the phone, but almost everything is significantly easier to do from a PC. Helping a player build a character means I dash over to the computer, load em up, and blast through everything rather than looking at each other's phones.

There is also the fact that the GM is on an Apprentice account, and definitely can't make use of the Campaign Theater features yet.

Q. What do you WISH you could do on the phone that would be more convenient than doing it on a larger device (if it worked well enough)?

A. Voice commands (Herolab, add a serum of healing to my inventory. Herolab, apply Shaken to my character. Herolab, bring up the death and dying rules.). Voice commands would be helpful for the visually impaired player.
Taking a picture of a mini and using it as a profile pic within the app.
Starship tracking (doing shield rebalancing is a major pain with pen and paper)

Q. How do you use the phone differently than other devices, if you use more than the phone? (e.g. building characters/campaigns on a desktop/laptop; using a phone to play characters at the game; GM from a laptop, play as a player via phone; Use the phone as a hand-held assistant while walking around the table as a GM, etc).

A. I only use my phone for looking up specific rules at this point. It's too small and cramped feeling to swipe through, wait for pages to load, click tiny buttons... I feel like I'm holding the game up when I do that. The number of clicks and motions and loading times to get to various options needs to come way down before I will feel comfortable using the phone as a character sheet.
WatersLethe is offline   #4 Reply With Quote