View Single Post
zarlor

Old February 4th, 2017, 06:24 AM
Well, while I haven't gone back to recode any data files to handle bootstrapping gear I will admit it is a bit of a pain not being able to do that. For instance we just started up a Weird Wars Rome game with my group and, like pretty much all Weird Wars games, the unit type you choose to be defines what gear you're given. In this case none of the gear costs anything anyway but it's been an experience getting everyone used to the idea that that have to switch back to the text description every time to then go hunt their way through the gear to add it. WWR makes it a tad worse since the gear names are all latin and if you're not familiar with the terms you aren't really sure what type of gear that is (is a hasta Armor, a Ranged Weapon, a Melee Weapon or some type of Gear? Things like that.)

Being able to just load gear from other things, like Edges, would be a big help for my players when working with HL. That kind of automation is exactly what they want to use a program that is going to help them with character creation and management for, IMHO. That may be especially true for a game system like Savage Worlds where character creation is fairly easy... well, outside of trying to code it for all of the very flexible use cases the system allows for.

I don't doubt it's a royal pain to code, and maybe even would take a hard look at doing a rebuild of some of the underlying code structure, but my vote would still be for seeing if it could be made to work. My experience would suggest to me that it really would be a very helpful feature to have.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #6 Reply With Quote