View Single Post
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old January 23rd, 2014, 02:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptoknight View Post
And once again. Roleplaying did not have to break down to a skill challenge. That's a choice that DMs typically made. The only time I saw it break down to that was in LFR games at Conventions, where a 4 hour time slot was all you had.

Did I like what they did with the skills? No, but calling everybody a magic user is an over simplification of the powers system. FWIW, 4e lasted 5 years, same as 3.5. 3e lasted all of 3. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edition...ns_%26_Dragons

And compared to playing a fighter or rogue in 3.5?

3.5e
"What do you do?" "I hit him" "roll dice" "roll damage maybe"
vs 4e
"What do you do?" "I hit him with nifty power X and pull him into flank with the rogue.","roll dice","roll the dice and maybe do some damage and change the battlefield"

You can call it wizard like powers if you want, I thought of Dailies and Encounters as maneuvers, just sometimes I wished I could take the same one over and over.
I will say you're being Generous on your time frame of reference too. 4e was launched at GenCon 2008 and by GenCon 2011 was officially killed by Hasbro. Any products they still had in the pipeline were still released because they were already in production, but they knew it was dead before Essentials was released officially. It wasn't selling.

The reason you saw Skill Challenges used at Conventions is that it is not a choice for RPGA judges, they have to use the rules as they're written. As an RPGA judge you don't get to choose or use DM adjucation, you have to do everything by the book and RPGA supplemental books. 3.5 and 3 are the same. 3.5 was an update of 3, they would have called it 4 if it was a new version Crypto. As I said, you're being far too Generous with time frames.

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #17 Reply With Quote