Thread: Calendars
View Single Post
MNBlockHead

Old May 4th, 2019, 09:07 AM
For what we pay for RealmWorks we get a very useful and feature-rich campaign manager. We are not owed anything else. Of course, it behooves LWD to continue to improve the product, especially if they want us to pay for cloud subscriptions and to buy content from the content market.

Calendars have long been asked for, a desire fueled by it being a possible feature that was highlighted in the Kickstarter (if I remember correctly). There is a very vocal group of us that have been hounding LWD for this for years. What is painful is that much of the work has already been done, you can even see it in screen shots from early beta versions. But they have not released it as it is not end-user friendly yet.

Unfortunately for us world builders who care about custom calendars, for most users this is apparently not a priority. Other features have been voted for over calendars. Also, custom calendars do not seem to be enough of a competitive advantage nor something that is going to draw lots of new users and drive much revenue. No, I don't have any numbers to back this up. Just conjecture on my part based on years of conversation with other users and the devs in this forum.

LWD is a small company and they are facing stiff competition from Web-based campaign management systems and from VTT companies that are moving into campaign management. I would guess that get the Web version up and running is a high priority as is taking the Content Market to the next step where content creators can post their own material for sale.

Then you have individual player reveal, enhanced and customizable pins, and many more features that have equally vocal users.

Over the years, I've come to accept that custom calendars may not be seen for a long time in RealmWorks, if ever. If it happens, it'll be a nice surprise, but don't hold your breath.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #28 Reply With Quote