View Single Post
Dark Lord Galen

Old August 22nd, 2014, 07:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
If you reveal it to the players, they now know it is non-canon.
So? There are no canon police.. Seriously, as AEIOU stated,,, its your world.... that makes it canon for you... as long as you maintain consistency. I mark non-canon for me should I ever share the info with someone else in the future so they know where it originated from....

For Example, In the WOG (World of Greyhawk) settinig canon dictates a group of heros recovered the Crook of Rao banishing a group of evil minions. This set into motion a change in the course of the war within the realm (Furyondy in this case). TSR and later Wizards of the Coast built many elements around this event, thus making it all "canon" (ie published works). Problem is my Players blew the quest and failed to recover the Crook. Result, no evil minion banish, darker outcome for the forces of good, etc. BUT all those results are "non-canon" compared to the "published" account. I simply use what is published as a baseline and tweek the result based on what my players successes and failures are. That is campaign management.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU
For me, if it's in my campaign it is canon. It doesn't matter what some other person writes/creates before/after/during that point. My world is the center of my universe....

But once we begin sharing material, my universe blurs and I need to play nicely in the multiverse. While I don't have an issue with multiple realities, others will want to remain very pure and I respect that.
I agree...
And as I write on another site about canon, the lines can get very fuzzy. Being a diehard WOG writer, forum contributor, and DM for nearly 30yrs, that setting has seen its share of Canon, Semi-canon, Fanon.
Some follow it religiously, others as a template, some not at all. As Gygax once wrote, "its your world, and welcome to it".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyofdragons
Just wondering, once sharing/marketplace is enabled, wouldn't it be best to create a campaign that's "canon" and then share it into another campaign that adds on the non-canon stuff?

Of course not something that can be done now, and the question would be "can I tell the difference between shared stuff and local campaign stuff?"
LoD brings a valid point... once sharing of realms is a feature (which will be very nice) How would you know then? via the "source tab" added not so long ago perhaps? But that would still not drill down to the snipit level others have mentioned above... hummmmm
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #9 Reply With Quote