View Single Post
AEIOU

Old July 18th, 2015, 12:33 PM
RealmWorks has to pick a direction for development in order to truly be ready for the table. It's a great reference and world building tool for me. It helps me organize my thoughts and adventures. It does a great job of providing players with history and backstory. But to be quite frank, in my opinion it is next to useless at the table for players for actual gameplay.

1) RW is not intended to be a virtual table top. So we either kludge something together with player view or we also run a real VTT.
2) RW has no export functionality so to use a real VTT, we must maintain copies of all materials players may see separate from RW.
3) RW does not integrate with any of the standard VTTs on the market. If it could do so in a similar manner to HeroLab's integration, they would eliminate the need to export or save copies of materials.
4) Relying on the player client is not viable for maps or handouts due to the current synching implementation.

At least one of those has to become a priority for RW to truly be useful at the table for the players. Maybe the web view will help?

My setup is RW and d20pro with GM view on my screen and sometimes HeroLab. I run a second d20pro client on my computer with player view presented on a second screen. And I have directories for all the maps and player handouts for use in the game. It's redundant, wastes space, requires version control, requires extra work after the game and it annoys the bejesus out of me. But it works.
AEIOU is offline   #7 Reply With Quote