Thread: Synch Process
View Single Post
MNBlockHead

Old April 30th, 2015, 09:23 PM
Some other initial impressions.

USE OF CONTENT-MARKET CONTENT WITHOUT CLOUD SERVICE
It is good that you'll be able to buy content from the content market (CM) without needing a cloud subscription. But what is the reasoning for requiring a cloud subscription to enable integration of that content into your own realm? Is it an artificial constraint to encourage us to subscribe or are there legal or technical reasons for this?

What happens if I buy a bunch of content on the CM as a cloud subscriber and integrate into my realm, then at some point in the future I cancel my cloud subscription? What happens to that integration? I assume the content I bought will still be available in separate realm, but will it no longer appear in the realm I had integrated it with. What happens to any additional content or settings (like reveals) that have been made to the CM content that was integrated...do I loose that, or will it still exist in the now-unintegrated, stand along ream for the that bit of content?

This would greatly decrease the use of content other than adventure modules. For example random-generation tables or NPC lists. How would I use these as a non-cloud subscriber? Especially since there would be no ability to print them. I would need to leave my realm, open a specific realm for that content, and switch back and forth, which is not very fluid in RW. Or I would need more than one laptop behind the GM screen. For this kind of content, I would be inclined to continue to buy PDFs or paper versions, because I could still use the PDFs or print material should I ever need to cancel my cloud subscription.

WEB-BASED PLAYER ACCESS
Very happy to hear that cloud subscribers will be able to offer Web-access to their realms without players needing to buy the player edition. It really increases the value of the subscription for me. I assume it will pretty much be view only, which is fine. I have no issues with players needing to pay for increased functionality, although what that functionality will be is not clear to me.

DUPLICATING REALMS
Great to hear that we'll be able to make copies of Realms without cloud service. I think it is fair to require a cloud subscription to have content in multiple realms be in synch, but I have some questions about that:

1. Is this a technical limitation or an artificial limitation to encourage cloud service?

2. What if I am a subscriber and I *don't* want content edited in one copy to update content in another copy? Can a cloud subscriber have a copied realm behave in the same manner as the non-subscriber? Can I select which topics/articles I want to have updated across realm copies and which I want to be changed only in the one I'm editing? If so, will this be on the topic/article level or on the snippet level?

Overall, I found the FAQs and announcement to be full of good news, but I am a little concerned about the use of CM purchases in my mostly home-brew realm if RW will rip it all out should I ever stop my subscription.

Last edited by MNBlockHead; April 30th, 2015 at 09:29 PM. Reason: minor grammatical and formatting edits
MNBlockHead is offline   #41 Reply With Quote