View Single Post
daplunk

Old March 9th, 2017, 02:56 PM
If your group is spread out and not playing in the same room I would be looking at a VTT solution.

Personally I would probably invest in Fantasy Grounds. The other option is Roll20. They have D&D5e licenses.

Fantasy Grounds will require the players to have an application installed on a laptop/pc to access the session.

Roll20 will require the players to have an website open on a laptop/pc. There is a tablet app but from my checks it's lacking in functionality.

Both of these applications have built in character sheets and combat management. The idea being that you play inside these applications completely. There's no need for physical dice as all the players can't see the roll or the result so it's all done virtually.

Personally I prefer when we are all sitting around the table and the problem with the approach above when you are all sitting around the table is you all need to have your laptops/pcs in order to play this way. You could of course just use less functionality when you sit around the table and roll real dice instead but i think this would actually be confusing for the table. You have alot of automation when you use these programs which frankly means you don't need such an intimate knowledge of your character so moving from 1 to the other could be a bit clunky.

If you are playing either of these ways you basically don't need anything else. Yes you could use Realm Works, but you are not going to be able to use the player visible functionality of Realm Works over the internet without using some more tools. You could share your screen for example to show player view. But the players will have the Fantasy Grounds / Roll20 windows up and it would be easier to just share the information within the VTT versus using two tools.

I'm an avid fan of Realm Works. But if I was going to be playing via a Network I would first be looking at a VTT which is not something I would personally recommend Realm Works as a supplement to that experience due to the need to duplicate all the data.

You could use Realm Works for the management of the story and content and the VTT just for the map, tokens, rolling and combat. But this means you need to at least replicate the maps in the VTT and Realm Works and given the VTTs have licenses for the official D&D5e adventures, it would be more efficient to just purchase them over there and use those tools completely.

*** This is why I believe Realm Works needs to partner with one of the big names in VTT. They can't beat them, but they could join them. If Realm Works player view could be made visible within one of these applications and information shared in RW was visible in the VT then that would change things completely. ***

Now if your primary focus is playing at the table. Then Realm Works is absolutely my recommendation and I can provide more information on how I would do that and what tools i use if you like. But it sounds like you are headed in a different direction.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #5 Reply With Quote