View Single Post
EightBitz

Old November 12th, 2018, 03:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merion View Post
I know the usual reactions when someone mentions Realm Works and VTT in the same breath, so before you get out your pitchforks and torches:

Okay? We're good? Great, now hear me out!
OK, I'm listening ...

Quote:
I'm not saying LWD should throw its already spread out resources into trying to convert RW into a VTT which was never intended.
OK. That's cool. Still listening ...

Quote:
But there are several improvements that would make the tool better imho and incrementally lead RW being a quasi-VTT.
But ... you JUST SAID ... no, wait, never mind. Keeping an open mind. Go on ...

Quote:
So let me list some features I'd love to see:
  • Dice roller - been on the backlog for a while I think
  • Being able to place icons for my PCs on the map
  • Being able to move these around as a GM
  • Being able to likewise place (and move) enemies and neutral NPCs
    Right now, I use the player view to show dungeon and other maps (love the fog of world!), NPC, monster and atmospheric pics. But when it comes down to battle, I print out the battle maps and we fidget around with minis. Want to do this on the big screen, too!
  • Importing the statblock of PCs from HLO
  • As long as I'm online this could be done on the fly
  • Speaking of on the fly, this then could let me see the current HP and conditions of each character
  • Next logical step would be to change and apply conditions (and XP) as a DM
  • Control of the tactical console (I know, its not even in HLO yet) from within Realm Works
  • and finally Live Sharing of Player View over the Internet
But you JUST said you did NOT want ... I mean ... I'm very confused here.

Quote:
There are probably more, but those came to me mind right now.
I think most of these features would benefit the tool, some are likely easier to implement than others, but if you do implement even some of these - mostly quality of life - features you'll probably end up with something close to a VTT with a heavyweight campaign management system behind it.
For reference: I use HLO as player and RW as a DM and am a great fan of both. But I see a) room for improvement and b) market pressure from the VTTs.

Having said that, you can now pick up your pitchforks and torches again and roast away
*Picks them up and lights torches.*

GET 'IM, BOYS!
EightBitz is offline   #2 Reply With Quote