View Single Post
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 12th, 2018, 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyteach View Post
Rob, cogent arguments and I'll let it sit except that I never said I wasn't a device user. I only said I was not an Android user.
Sorry about that! I misinterpreted the "anymore" when you said "I'm not an Android user (anymore)".

Quote:
HLClassic (on a lightweight laptop like a surface or an iPad) run great while on a cruise boat, beach, camping trip, whatever. HLOnline, not so much. Also, in many cases while internet may be available, it's not always free or inexpensive. The exorbitant fees hotels charge is one example (my experience being anywhere from $10 to $30 per day).
Fair points.

With the iPad, the reason we never added more game systems is because each new game required months to implement the UI. Then each game became a maintenance load as it evolved with new mechanics for us to support. So that wasn't a viable path forward for us without a massive change to how things worked. The current HLOnline approach obviated that need.

For Android, we had two real choices if we stuck with the HLClassic model. Option #1 was to develop a native application in parallel with the iPad, with it's own maintenance burden. Option #2 was to switch to a completely new technology stack like Unity. Both of those approaches entailed huge ongoing investments, while the HLOnline approach obviated them both, as well.

So while the Surface works nicely with HLClassic, the two largest platforms (Android and iPad) represented problems for us that we had to address with whatever path we chose. The HLOnline model emerged as the best path forward to address all of our needs.

Quote:
As far as the outage, while the page said "see the forums for information", until today that outage was never acknowledged and nothing posted on the forum about status. So, while you new about it within a minute, it took 3 hours (or so) to fix and no post on status (like, that LWD was even aware and/or working on it). What's the point of directing people to the forum if we can't get information about what's going on with our data? Bugs will happen, I get that, and Murphy always prevails. But at least tell us what's going on.
Flyteach
I forgot to mention above that BJ was speaking on a GenCon panel when the outage occurred. More Murphy's Law. So the coordination of things from the CS side was seriously hampered, as well. I know we posted some basic info on social media, but none of us thought about the forums in the midst of scrambling to cover the busy booth with a skeleton staff while also getting the problem figured out and fixed.

So we definitely dropped the ball on that. Sorry!
rob is offline   #13 Reply With Quote