View Single Post
Parody

Old August 2nd, 2017, 12:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodice View Post
An assertion like this implies that the gears are already in motion. Are you stating that this is how development is already proceeding or just chiming in with your view of the ideal design premise?
It's purely logic and has nothing to do with any specific Realm Works implementation that may come in the future. My train of thought:

- Currently revealing is an on/off toggle for all accounts associated with the Realm; either an item is revealed to everyone or nobody.

- The suggestion is to add a more granular reveal system, such that an item can be revealed to some "whatevers" and not to other "whatevers".

- When a GM goes to reveal an item to a "whatever", the UI has to be able to show the GM a list of "whatevers" from which the GM can pick. The most likely source is some type of object associated with the Realm.

- These "whatever" objects have to be created by someone, and since the objects are associated with the Realm that someone is likely also associated with the Realm.

- One of the attributes of a "whatever" is the text shown in the list of "whatevers", otherwise people looking at the list couldn't tell them apart. This text is likely something the creator of the "whatever" can set and change; otherwise I don't think we (the Realm Works users) would find it very useful.

- Combining things together: if a person associated with the Realm (whether GM or Player) can create and name a "whatever", then a "whatever" can represent anything. It doesn't matter what term the LWD folks use for the "whatever" object.

The term "reveal target" is one I made up, mostly to try to get readers to disassociate the general RPG term of Player Character from whatever term Realm Works may eventually use. Here I went even more generic just to show that the name doesn't matter. (I think "reveal target" is a decent generic name for the concept, though. :)

Last edited by Parody; August 2nd, 2017 at 12:43 AM.
Parody is online now   #63 Reply With Quote