View Single Post
MNBlockHead

Old September 10th, 2017, 05:32 PM
We know that they are working on an online version of RW. My understanding from what I remember of earlier discussions, however, is that initially, it will only be for viewing shared content. Basically, it would be a way to share content with players who don't want to buy the Players version of the software or who want to access content on a non-windows device.

If I remember correctly, they plan to eventually allow for the GMs to edit content from the online version. I don't know if work on HLO helps with the development of RW Online, but I'm sure that this is eventually where they want to get to. I'm fairly certain that an online version will be given priority dev attention over any installed portable version. Doubt they would invest time into every developing a portable version.

In the meantime, you could get a VM on Microsoft Azure, install RW on that and access via Remote Desktop Connection. You don't need a particularly powerful machine and you can just stop the VM when not using it, so costs should be minimal. Much less expensive and more convenient than lugging a second laptop around. Only downside is that you DO need an internet connection. RDP is not bandwidth heavy, though, so you don't need a great connection but you do need the internet.

Another option is to use Oracle's Portable VirtualBox to run a VM from your USB drive.

Still, my preference would be to have an Azure Pay-as-You-Go account and run an F1S server. Keep the VM stopped at all time, except when you want to need to use RW on your work PC.

One more option that may make sense, if you have a desktop at home that you keep always on and have good internet at home, is to use one of many remote-connection options to work on your home PC from another computer.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #8 Reply With Quote