View Single Post
davidp
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 25th, 2017, 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightBitz View Post
I have a Realm, let's call it "Realm X", where I wanted to try something that we'll arbitrarily call "clever". *ahem* *cough*

Step 1: Run a backup.
Step 2: Make a copy of Realm X.

I did both of those things in that order. Then I did a full export of Realm X.

Now here's the "clever" bit. (Sometimes there's a fine line between "clever" and "stupid", right?) I opened the the export as an XML file and made a manual edit. Specifically, I removed the cover art. I did this by deleting everything between <cover_art> and </cover_art>. I left those two tags untouched, but deleted everything between them.

I saved that, went back to Realm Works, and deleted Realm X. I recreated Realm X and tried to import the edited .rwexport file. It failed.

It was worth a shot, but since it failed, I figured I'd just restore my database, and all will be well.

So I run the restore, and I get no errors. But when I check my realms, Realm X is still empty. My original data (which was there when I made the backup) is gone.

I thought that maybe since there's a realm there with the same name as the one I want restored, it's getting confused. So I delete the ream, and run another restore. Realm X is not there.

However, the copy I made earlier (after the backup) IS there.

Generally speaking, my understanding of backup and restore is that when you backup a database, it backs up everything that's there. And when you do a restore, it restores your database to the exact same state as when you made the backup, meaning not only that all the data you had is restored, but also that any new data that was created after the backup is now lost.

Again, the restore should put the database in the exact same state as it was in at the moment of the backup.

Obviously, in this case, either I did something wrong, or the backup/restore process for Realm Works works differently than a traditional database backup.

Can anyone offer any insights?
When you delete a realm, it is permanent as the server is involved in the deletion and has it as deleted. Doing the restore still leaves the realm deleted from the server's perspective so it gets marked as deleted within the restored database.

This is why we have the big huge warning about deleting a realm is permanent.
davidp is offline   #2 Reply With Quote