Thread: /r/rpg
View Single Post
AEIOU

Old October 24th, 2014, 08:29 AM
Cost is relative. If you run off-the-shelf modules and that is it, then it costs way too much IMNSHO. If you run adventure paths, create your own settings, create side adventures, base your adventures in a world that evolves or want to create consistency so your players know what to expect, then it's priceless, again IMNSHO.

I've been entering material from Frog God Games. Up until recently, they've been publishing campaign setting agnostic for their rather large library of adventures and setting materials. They include very little historical timeline or historical background to draw from -- amazing breadth but lacking in depth. However, each of those adventures and setting documents is tied together by threads and mentions and NPCs that know NPCs, gods, common locations, artifacts lost and found and the impacts of the last great war that has left its imprint upon everything. In print, those connections are lost -- each book is an island; complete unto itself, but still an island. In RW, that same material transforms, adventures intertwine and locations start to connect seamlessly. Intrigues turn into conspiracies; evil plots stretch across a continent and beyond. Next spring FGG will start releasing campaign setting materials with history and maps and and and....they are adding depth to their existing breadth.

Golarion, Forgotten Realms and Greyhawk are very mature, possess dragon hoard sized treasure troves of depth and breadth, and are supported by larger companies. Once material starts to flow for any of these settings.... The future is very bright indeed.

I enter FGG's material now because I don't expect them to publish to RW in the near future. And it gives me practice learning the ins and outs of RW so I can better manipulate the data that gets published eventually.

I am waiting on Paizo's material because it will be mind-blowing what becomes possible for gamers. This is their chance to deal a telling blow to Hasbro.

Last edited by AEIOU; October 24th, 2014 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Liz snuck in while I was typing.... Ninja'd....
AEIOU is offline   #7 Reply With Quote