View Single Post
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old February 16th, 2015, 07:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asandir View Post
Ok, I am going to ask some of the proverbial dumb questions here.
No dumb questions. I am happy to answer them all as the more info I can give you guys the easier this all becomes for us all.

Quote:
1) I got both the basic and the 3PP directories setup using new installations of Herolab. So the files I have created in another directory, can I just copy those new ones over that I have created into the new Github linked 3PP directory on my machine?
If the files are "brand" new and do not exist in GitHub then yes simply copy the files over. Make sure they are in the new naming convention and SoureTree will detect them as "new" files.

If these files already exist you have to be careful as you could "wipe" out others work. In example if I added a FeatA to the .user file and your .user file does not have FeatA and you drop in your file FeatA will be detected as being deleted.

Quote:
2) Since I am now adding new "books" I presume I am supposed to also edit the relevant .1st file correct?
Assuming these are SGG/RGG books then yes you will need to add the new book as a source in the COM_Source_210 - Rogue Genius Games.1st file. Simply copy an existing one and make the changes to the name and the Unique ID. Going forward I would really like to have the Source IDs start with "src" all lower case. In example like THIS one. I love I can just point to the exact line of a file on github.

Quote:
3) Also, is there a file I should be editing to reflect the changes I have made/submitted?
Yes each Pack has a "release notes" file setup. For the 3PP Pack it is named "COM_3PPPack - Release Notes.user". The layout is actually in HTML so please duplicate the format exactly please. It allows me to easily update all the places I need to.

If you don't feel comfortable updating HTML then simply make sure your "Commit Notes" that you must enter into SourceTree are complete and accurate. I can easily grab those notes from GitHub from all the commits done and build the Release Notes from that. I am good with either method.

Quote:
4) Also on the data files, should I be adding something, checking something to denote Herolab community sets?
Please make sure all the "Thing ID's" have a two digit extra character. I think for the SGG/RGG we had started to use "SG". But we also update the "Product Identity For..." with "Hero Lab Community". This is especially true for Class Specials and Racial Specials as those Things should never have Sources attached to them. This allows others to reuse those Specials if we need to.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #22 Reply With Quote