View Single Post
MNBlockHead

Old July 13th, 2017, 07:17 PM
For me, a dungeon is almost always an adventure area. For many, all the information will be in a single AA topic, in others I have lots of associated scene topics.

AAs are generally contained in other location topics. Generally, story lines and quests will link to AAs but not be parent containers of AAs. If I will ONLY use the AA for ONE storyline or one quest and the party is unlikely to return and it is unlikely to be used in future campaigns (unusual for dungeons in my campaigns), I *may* have it contained under a Storyline or Quest, but it would still be an AA topic. Only the most simply dungeons would be entered as a map and text in the Storyline or Quest itself.

MORE likely is that I will have the AA contain a number of possible quests related to it.

To give perspective, my campaign is fairly sandbox. I have multiple possible storylines and the party may be involved in more than one at a time, which I riff on and often find they merge an morph into new storylines. Since story lines in my campaign are fluid, they make for poor anchors for other content.

So, for me, it makes more sense to take a geographical approach and place the adventure areas in specific locations.

That said, I do have a number of drop-in dungeons and drop-in adventures that I can place almost anywhere. I have these organized using the "Other" topic. So I will have, for example, a "Drop-in Communities: Any Human" list that has a number of settlement topics under it. After I use one in a game, I then pin it on the appropriate map and file it under an appropriate parent place topic.

Other examples of this that I use is: "Drop-in Inns: Generic", "Drop-in Dungeons" (no subcategories, just try to make the names descriptive enough), "Drop-in Merchants", etc. I also do this with adventures, organized by level. Some are completely created from scratch, but many are material from ENWorld En5ider, DriveThruRPG and DMs Guild Material, that I like but do not have an immediate use for. What is nice is that if the party goes completely in a new direction that I have not planned for, I can pull up something quickly.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #13 Reply With Quote