View Single Post
MarkC

Old July 9th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzer0 View Post
Here are some basic suggestions I have to keep the improvements and complexity going:

keep track of wins/loss/tie records with each roster/lifetime vs each army faced

keep a journal for battle reports and notes on how specific parts of the roster went, was most helpful, etc

Reference statistical data that counts the amount of time each model is used on average per roster.
I print out a copy of my roster for each game and write up on it how each unit did. This gets filed away, although I do tend to throw out the records after a few years as the rules change with new editions and the army book/codex gets updated.

I also have an Excel worksheet where I record each game played and record how many games I have used each unit. Every calendar year I print off the summary and put it with the army roster records for that year.

One problem that I can see with having all this data stored in AB is what happens when the data files get updated? I typically can't load any rosters older than 6 months old without getting errors/warnings.

Also as alluded to before, the statistics may become irrelevant over time as rule books change and unit/weapon characteristics change (eg my 40K 4th edition Landspeeder with Assault Cannon was an auto pick, but I hardly use it in 5th edition as it costs more, the effect of the weapon has been reduced, and the unit is non-scoring). Also as my collection of models grows I may take different units that just wasn't an option before.

Don't get me wrong. I love the idea. I am just wondering if the stats would be better generated in a separate module/application and the results copied or imported into AB.

What AB would then need is a set of extra characteristics that can be added to units/models in your collection. These could be pre-defined (eg % used, # times used, average effectiveness on a 5 star rating, painted/unpainted), user defined or a mixture of both. If you could attach images to your units you could include not just photos of the unit but even a saved graph of its average effectiveness against each type of opponent.

Regards

Mark C
MarkC is offline   #6 Reply With Quote