View Single Post
Exmortis

Old April 17th, 2019, 04:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
1) Your laptop sounds like about a 5th gen core intel CPU. That's quite old. On both my desktop and laptop opening and switching tabs is quite fast.

2) I think this is one of those things that is always going to be onerous. How many topics does your main realm have? Can you imagine wading through several thousand names to find ones you want to set?

3) Definitely needed. Just not sure whether I think it should have priority over things to make GM's lives better. I still have doubts that jus being able to view a realm on the web will get many players to look.

4 & 5) Maps definitely need lots of love. I have a town map with something like 70 pins. Trying to find the right pin is a nightmare.
Issue isn't the generation, we are talking Intel here, for years AMD has been zero performance threat, so Intel CPUs have not seen much gen over gen improvements, so a gen 5 CPU is not an issue I don't think. That will change now though.

The issue with RW is the core(s) speed. As far as I can tell it is not multi-threaded meaning it all runs on core 0 essentially (I have never tried setting a core affinity, most consumer apps do not behave well doing that). Core clock means a lot more to RW then core count. There is a noticeable difference between my Ryzen desktop and my Surface Pro 3 , not because of CPU cores but due to a much higher core clock speed on the Ryzen. My laptop sits square in the middle with a mobile IvyB and a core clock to match that space. Also my SP3 has a mere 4GB vs 16GB on my lappy and desktop. All have SSDs (NVMe on the desktop side).

RW has a fairly large memory threshold, it did not cack-out on me with my issues I had until just under 8GB usage. I was able to watch it grow from few hundred MB to 7.8+GB then it would crash if I attempted any action.

Last note, turbo core can really help RW on CPUs with a heavy core count but low MHz, since idle cores leave TDP on the table for clock speed boosts on Core 0. So those slower clocked mobile CPUs can see a small speed boost if there is little else onthe system running along side RW.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV

Last edited by Exmortis; April 17th, 2019 at 04:24 AM.
Exmortis is offline   #6 Reply With Quote