View Single Post
MNBlockHead

Old December 18th, 2018, 11:59 PM
I'm going to be placing an order from Collabrewate for a portable TV case for tabletop games and digital maps.

Basically, the display is horizontal and connected to a laptop so you can display digital battlemaps using RealmWorks, Roll20, Fantasy Grounds, or just zooming a PDF to the appropriate scale. Most of the time, I plan to display a map using RealmWorks player view and zoom it until it is at 1"=5' scale and use miniatures right on the display.

First, size. I decided 40" is the right compromise of large playing space, portability, and price. I came to this conclusion after drawing out on a Chessex battlemap the functional play spaces for (1) the D&D Adventure Grid [green line], (2) a 32" monitor [red line], and (3) a 40" monitor [blue line]. After seeing it physically on the table, it became clear to me that a 32" inch monitor would be inadequate and a 40" would still be plenty portable.

But this still isn't based on actual play.

For those of you who game using horizontal displays as digital battlemaps, using actual minis on top of the screen, what size monitor(s) do you use? Have you felt hampered by too small a screen? Do you find your screen to be too large and cumbersome?

Also, what are some economical monitors with shallow or no bezels.

Finally, does it make sense to spring more for 1080p over 720p?

The Collabrewate recommend the Vizio brand but they will work with many displays. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #52 Reply With Quote