View Single Post
kbs666

Old July 26th, 2017, 01:09 AM
I've done thick client to thin client migration several times. Depending on the code base it can range from writing an entirely new program to a fairly simple undertaking.

Since we know RW is written in C# and .NET migration should be a lot easier than LWD is making it. I'm guessing that something, one of the third party controls?, is desktop specific. Which would be a real problem. Although I guess one problem could be the local storage issue. Cloud based programs generally cannot access local storage so a web view would only be able to hit the cloud version of a realm and that might have issues for people who choose not to subscribe to the cloud service.

However I'll be honest, most people won't use the web view. Desktops and even laptops are still far more powerful than portable devices. Why would you deal with the limitations imposed by a web app when you could use the thick client? If LWD is prioritizing the web viewer over character journals, individual reveal and custom calendars they are making a serious mistake in what their user base's wants and needs.

LWD has spent quite a long time rolling out the CM. Which has meant that new "user facing" features have been few and far between for a while LWD would be well served to consider that their existing, and long suffering, user base cares relatively little for CM or web view but does want and need features like journals, individual reveal and calendars and has been waiting a very long time for some of them. Once CM is out is probably time to spent a while putting out at least some customer features.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #46 Reply With Quote