Thread: Dropbox support
View Single Post
Azhrei

Old June 14th, 2017, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colen View Post
The problem is that the old Dropbox SDK was too good. [...] It's essentially a "black box" that you can put files into and take files out of, and everything Just Works, whether you're online or offline.
Hm, that is pretty good!

Quote:
Now, obviously it would be possible for us to re-implement what the old SDK does, or work on an alternate solution - for example, iOS now has various other ways of accessing files stored by cloud providers that didn't exist when we added the dropbox sync capabilities (the "document picker", for example, and I believe there's something new being added in iOS 11 as well).
Yes, iOS 11 will have the drag/drop functionality from the new Files app. My guess is that there will be an API similar to the "Open In..." API so that dropping a file onto an app will result in the same sequence of operations as "Open In..." (or if not the same, then very similar).

Quote:
However, we have various major projects (*cough* Hero Lab Online *cough*) that are taking up 100% of my coding time, and so we just don't have the time we need to spend adding a new sync solution at the moment - that time is 100% booked on other projects which mustn't fall behind.
Ah, so it's a project management issue! (LOL )

It's unfortunate how existing products sometimes languish while all attention is given to the New Product, but it's understandable that people want to work on the new stuff (all that glitzy and sparkle, y'know!). Heck, I'm like that! I suppose that as long as the New Product supports being able to use and update my character while I'm offline, then I'm good with it. But if the offline version is going to sync with the server whenever it's got a network connection, you could end up implementing that synchronization solution you alluded to when discussing replacing the Dropbox API...

@Yerdiss: My understanding is that the iPad app is completely Obj-C -- there is no use of Swift in it currently...

Last edited by Azhrei; June 14th, 2017 at 12:37 PM.
Azhrei is offline   #64 Reply With Quote