View Single Post
Daelda

Old November 18th, 2016, 12:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking2054 View Post
As I understand it, this all depends on they type of copy you use when copying from your 'source realm'. There are going to be two types of copying... don't ask me their names, I don't remember and don't feel like searching through Rob's past posts on copying.

Anyway, one type of copy creates a stand alone realm that once created never references the 'source realm' ever again. In this realm, if you buy a new piece of content on the market and want to incorporate it then you have to incorporate it into each and every stand alone realm you have.

On the other hand, there is a 'linked copy' for lack of a better term that will incorporate changes you make to the source realm into your 'child realm', unless one of your edit's in the child realm overrides something in the source realm.

So any edits, additions, corrections made to the 'source realm' can be updated into 'child realms' whether it is your own material or purchased content from the market. But this all depends on the type of copy you use linked or stand alone.

Also, although I'm guessing on this, you may need a cloud subscription since I'm assuming this will require syncing through the LWD servers.
Okay, that makes some sense. But will I be able to link a copy to a linked copy I wonder? For example, I have my "Source Realm", where I store the unedited, original material - I link that to my "Halea's Tears" Realm - thus anything added to the "Source Realm" is added to it, and I won't change any original material. Then, I link "Halea's Tears" to "Dark Rethem" - thus, any changes I make to "Halea's Tears" (since they are in the same world as Dark Rethem" will also be carried over, but I can make edits to Dark Rethem if they are different (for whatever reason) from those in "Halea's Tears".

If that's how it works - awesome! It will save me a lot of work, although once the Content Market and these features are launched, I will have a decent amount of work ahead of me in setting up these linked Realms, and moving my players into the new Realms.

As to the subscription - I have one and should have one for a long, long time.

Thanks for the help! I hope that this is how it works (or some variation thereof). I am so glad that I stumbled onto the Kickstarter back when it was still running, and helped them get this off the ground! It's been a long road at times, but one well worth it! At this point, I don't think I could run my game without Realm Works.
Daelda is offline   #25 Reply With Quote