View Single Post
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old January 26th, 2012, 10:15 AM
Standardizing a Breath Weapon

Once again, instead of making a breath weapon Special for each individual creature that has one, I instead made one Special that all creatures can access. Also, there is alot of flexibility with the code I'm providing, as each creature will determine it's breath weapon in a different way, so again, much like Improved Grab, I coded the specifics on the creature itself as part of its descriptive text. Here is the code on the background text file.
Code:
<<Post-Attributes (Users) 15000
~ Describe our breath weapon (usually this is CON).
DC = 10 + round(hero.tagcount[Classes.Race] / 2, 0, -1) + hero.child[aCON].field[aModBonus].value

hero.child[xBrthWpn].field[CustDesc].text = "<<place your creature specific descriptive text here>>{br}{vert 7}" & hero.child[xBrthWpn].field[descript].text

hero.child[xBrthWpn].field[xSumm].text = "<<describe the creature specific range, damage, and area of the effect>>"

hero.child[xBrthWpn].field[livename].text = hero.child[xBrthWpn].field[name].text & " (Reflex DC " & DC & " half)"

hero.child[xBrthWpn].field[hName1].text = "<<use this only if you have number of rounds needed before using it again>>"
Create your Breath Weapon Special, again copy and paste the generic ability description for it from the d20SRD site or the back of the MM, and make sure the Show in Special and Show in Charge is checked and the Ability Classification is Supernatural (leave the Source blank). Don't worry about putting something in the summary box, it will get overwritten anyhow. Save and test.

Here is where it gets a little tricky. Every creature's Breath Weapon is slightly different. Sometimes a breath weapon does a standard amount of damage, such as from a Behir or a Chimera. In these cases, its easy. Some breath weapons use a save other than Reflex, just be sure to edit that in the xSumm of the code. And some have variable dice for breath weapons. How you decide to code this in the creature's script specifically is up to you. This is just a way to standardize a breath weapon that can be used across creatures without having to make multiple ones in the Special tab.

Last edited by Kendall-DM; January 27th, 2012 at 11:42 AM.
Kendall-DM is offline   #5 Reply With Quote