View Single Post
alientude

Old April 4th, 2018, 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toblakai View Post
Then don't pay. No one is holding a gun to your head. Jeez.. obviously PF is not the hobby for you if $25/year is too much. I spend more at Starbucks in a week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
HLC is an old market. With people who are stuck in their ways but there's a significant portion of the digital RPG market not using their tool.
I wonder if you vigorous defenders of HLO understand just how condescending and, frankly, insulting, you are in your defense of HLO. Just because people disagree with the changes made in regards to HLO does not mean they're broke, cheap, or stuck in their ways.

It's not the cost of HLO's subscription that bothers me. It's several things:

1) Useless features - All the features that the subscription supports (Multi-platform support, cloud access, etc.) are useless to me. I don't need to access HL from anything other than my Windows desktop and Windows laptop. I have technology tightly integrated into my games, but none of the benefits of HLO matter to me. It's not that I'm stuck in my old ways, it's that the way I game right now works and the new features will not improve it in any manner.

2) Lack of features - HLO, as it is now, is a crippled version of HL. It doesn't have custom content, doesn't have expected Paizo content (APs), and is basically a player tool, rather than a GM tool. Sure, all those features are promised. But I'm a Kickstarter Realm Works backer. I was promised a lot of features for RW that have never been delivered. Lone Wolf has proven themselves unable to deliver on promised features. Why should I believe them when they say they'll have these features soon? That's been their refrain with RW for years.

3) Uncertain accessibility - Right now, I can fire up HL and know I can access my portfolios as needed no matter what happens. With HLO, what if their server goes down? What if they're doing an update? What if they go out of business? Or any other myriad of things that may interrupt service. Suddenly I would be unable to run my game. With HL, my portfolios are completely under my control, and I can access them whenever. My PC goes down? No big deal, I have them synced to Dropbox and can use my laptop. Even if I couldn't open HL for some reason, I can just open the portfolios with 7zip and extract the stat blocks. I can still play. With HLO, everything is on LW's servers, and if something interrupts their service, I'm screwed.

By the way Toblakai, did you know that PF is actually one of the cheapest hobbies you can find? It's free! You do not have to pay for anything - the rules are available online for free, you can use dice roller apps for free, and you don't need miniatures or maps or anything. The only thing you have to have is Internet access.
alientude is offline   #266 Reply With Quote