Thread: On items...
View Single Post
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 7th, 2006, 11:41 PM
I'm not sure what the problem is in your specific situation. :-( One thing I *DO* know is that it IS possible to do what you're aspiring to accomplish (unless I'm misunderstanding something).

I went through the data files for a few game systems and finally found an example of this. Let me point you to an example that can be found in the Warhammer Fantasy data files....

1. Load the WFB files.
2. Create a High Elves roster.
3. Add a Prince unit.
4. Go to the Enchanted Item list and verify that the Ring of Fury is visible. This is important for below.
5. Within the Enchanted Item list, add the Radiant Gem of Hoeth to the unit.
6. Note that the Arcane Item group of options appears for selection.

Now, I realize this isn't exactly what you are trying to do. So I loaded the data files into ABCreator and made a quick modification to test exactly the situation you are striving for (assuming I understand it correctly). Try the following....

1. Load the HighElves.dat file into ABCreator.
2. Go to the Item tab.
3. Select the Radiant Gem of Hoeth.
4. Click on the Prelink button to view the contents of the PreLinks script for the item.
5. Highlight the tag that is assigned and then press <ctrl-c> to copy it to the clipboard.
6. Exit from the script editor.
7. Select the Ring of Fury (a few slots down in the list of items).
8. Click on the ChildVis button to edit the tag expression.
9. Paste the tag that was copied into the editor as the tag expression.
10. Save the changes to the record.
11. Save the changes to the data file.
12. Switch to AB and compile the WFB data files to apply the new changes.
13. Re-load the WFB data files.
14. Create a High Elves roster.
15. Add a Prince unit.
16. Go to the Enchanted Item list and verify that the Ring of Fury does NOT appear. This is due to the ChildVis tag expression being applied.
17. Add the Radiant Gem of Hoeth to the unit.
18. Go back into the Enchanted Item list and the Ring of Fury should now appear. The extra requirement of the ChildVis tag expression is now satisfied, since the tag is assigned by the Gem.

I recommend modeling your solution after the way this is being done within the WFB data files. These particular items don't seem at all complex to me, based on looking at them just now in the data files. You ought to be able to use the same approach without too much difficulty in your own data files.

If you run into any questions, please ask. Please note that we're in crunch mode right now, since we will be attending a tradeshow all next week and we're doing all the final preparation for the show. So we may be a little slow in responding, and we won't be able to respond to questions while we're gone.

Hope this helps,
Rob
rob is offline   #6 Reply With Quote