View Single Post
Exmortis

Old April 10th, 2017, 05:33 AM
Funny, the delays with RW features affect me....Like 5 on a scale of 1 to 1000. With 4.99 of that being calendars.

One has to remember, to quote Kosh "Understanding is a three edged sword". But here it has hundreds of edges.

For me, RW is a campaign building tool that has no comparison, or competition. All in one systems are crap, yes crap, jack of all trades is convenient but never great. I have CC3+ for mapping (there is no better, just easier), I have Hero Lab for characters (Again there is no better, just easier or different), have RW Campaign building and delivery (no better just different), Soon to use D20 for replacement of miniatures.

The content market for me is one of convenience, I hope to be able to buy the rule books to import into my campaign, then link to them (can you image no more book/page flipping?). I build my own campaigns, have done for 20+ years of gaming, ever since my first attempt at campaign "Merchant's Gate". This was centered around the thieves guild being expelled from Waterdeep, their founding of this town on the major trade route. Other than the map, everything was custom, after that, I never used anything but a self build world.

In this light, nothing beats the tools I have outlined above, with my latest incarnation Daede (and my personal fun project, Telon), I have custom races, deities, maps, everything. Find me a tool like HL that allows me to build my races into the generator, like they came with it? Find me a tool as good as CC3 for making interlinked maps? And find me a better tool for pulling it all together then RW, with the ability to deliver content, have players archive it, access it on a whim, at home or at the game table? For the price of admission and small up coming cloud fee. You won't.

For those who want to run pre-built materials, YES RWs delays are annoying, frustrating and wholly the main point of lost faith. No one can argue otherwise period. All the fanois can't argue AMD bulldozer sucked, any more then RW fanbois like me can argue the delays are beyond forgiving. If I cared.

But I don't.

I don't defend the delays, I defend what the product offers, but it may not be the same for everyone. I am grateful I have not invested in RW to run my Pathfinder campaign and say an AP like rune lords, or with the entire intent to buy content. I would have long ago left, how long can one wait for vapor ware? However I do agree now is a poor time to leave, the final drive is here. A person has to at one point decide to cut your losses on something and bail, but on the eve of a new day isn't the time to give up on tomorrow when today has been so bad.

I agree with the sediment that the delays are inexcusable, "don't promise what you can't deliver". But you have to understand that the average person "I want a hard date now!" are loud and just as annoying, as ETA is just estimated, but too many need to buy a dictionary. This is the land they [LWD] operate in, and Rob is much nicer then I would be to that vocal group. Why LWD is successful and I would fail.

However the fans points are JUST as valid, they love and work with the product, we have found a way to use the software with its faults, and see the growth over time, and can see that the future is brighter than the past. That's why they are passionate, almost makes me feel dirty like I was an apple fanboi!! But make no mistake, they understand the delays annoyances, not everyone is a fountain of negativity like some self proclaimed royalty.

You take RW two ways:

Love it for what it is, and is evolving into.
OR
Hate it for what it isn't.

Both are just as legit as the other, but if you stand on your soapbox and preach, you bring both voices in return. YOU asked for the discussion, anyone who posts in an open forum is looking for the attention, so stop making a big deal about it either way, fanboi or not..PMs don't have this issue, we fanbois are annoying to the detractors, but understand, the detractors are just as annoying to the fanbois.

IN the end, we have symmetry, thus balance. And that's all the matters.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV

Last edited by Exmortis; April 10th, 2017 at 05:36 AM.
Exmortis is offline   #44 Reply With Quote