View Single Post
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 23rd, 2015, 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkthomsen9 View Post
Hey Rob,

I too have had several crashes since the updates. When it crashes it asks if you want to send a report. It also gives you a window to give a brief description of what you were doing when it crashed. I generally do not do bug reports, just crash reports. I say what I was doing IE "I was navigating from a mechanical reference to a story book topic." Is this enough or do you need the bug report and even more information? For those of us who are code illiterate, what information do you need?

I had no idea what was causing my crashes, but thinking back I would agree that it appears to happen most when I am saving one topic and moving to another.
What we do with the crash reports is try to think of what might have led to the problem. Often times, we're at a complete loss, so it becomes a process of searching for a needle within a haystack, where the crash report gives us clues that help narrow the problem down, but it still leaves a LOT of haystack to search. Anything we're told in the crash report is helpful in narrowing down what might have caused the problem, so there's honestly no such thing as "too much" detail.

Quite often, something you had done many actions prior to the crash is what messed up, leaving a landmine that gets stepped on later. Here's an example of something I just fixed for this release. If you changed the parent of a topic that itself had children such that it was moved to a new depth in the hierarchy, subsequently editing one of those children (or creating a new sibling for one of those children) would cause a crash. So it was changing the parent that actually was the problem, although the crash would occur when operating on a child. That's not something users will necessarily include in the crash report (as your example demonstrates). So we'll take everything we can get!
rob is offline   #22 Reply With Quote