Originally Posted by tunasandwichify View Post
The new FAQ states the following:

Page 162 – Spell Generation
At the end of the second paragraph, add:
“The Lore of Undeath is available to any Wizard.”
(see Warhammer Battle Magic: Lore of Undeath or
Warhammer: Nagash, available in digital format at
www.games-workshop.com)

Now since that's under "Spell Generation" I don't know if that applies to Loremasters. BUT, the fact that it says "available to ANY wizard." To me would mean if they are considered a wizard and can cast spells, they should be able to take Undeath.
This is a good point, and the crux of the issue. I think the line is delineated where the ability to select spells comes in. Some wizards for whatever reason have their spells predetermined (e.g. warlocks, sister's of thorn, etc.) and as such while they might have access to the lore, they cannot get spells from the lore because their spells are already determined.

Others are required for whatever reason to take a spell from a particular lore (e.g. dragon mage via the warrior mage attribute) and as such are forced to take all spells from that lore since only in special circumstances may a wizard take spells from more than one lore.

One exception that might be considered is the loremaster of hoeth. I don't have the rules in front of me, but I thought he was granted access to the signature spell from the 8 base schools of magic. As it feels like Lore of Undeath is almost becoming a "9th" basic lore there could be an argument for the loremaster having access to Ryze the Grave Caller. That is probably another discussion for a larger audience and one which the ArmyBuilder team might choose to leave alone until the community comes to a clearer consensus on the matter.
archamedius is offline   #25 Reply With Quote