View Single Post
Mmurphy

Old March 10th, 2014, 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikmal View Post
Do you have any screen shots of the database too? Like for instance when entering the data in to Realm Works.. how do you do the rooms, encounters and the like. Such as random encounters and wilderness encounters and the like?

I am more or less curious about that as I am wanting to enter an Adventure Path (Specifically Wrath of the Righteous) and I am just flumoxed as the moment as to where to begin?

Thanks!!
I cannot show the path of data entry as I don't GM that way (everything I do is based on what the players choose to do. For example, every encounter is a 'random' encounter. I never 'plan' anything).

However, If I were to start doing this, I would find what works for me in my mind. Do you think linear, do you think in 'groups', do you work best in small or large scale. RealmWorks has some good videos on how to get started with these, and I suggest viewing them. I will also add my 4 cents (use to be two cents, but inflation hit--take these as you may).

If you think Linear, start at the beginning or the end and work your way back or forward. This method allows you to construct from one timeline to the next time line. You will be bouncing back and forth from subject to subject but each new subject builds upon an already entered subject. In this case you build the scene and then layout all the details of the scene.

If you think in groups, you enter all NPC at once, all maps at once, all encounters at once regardless of where they fit in the scenario. This allows you to get progressively better at each new data entry type and will keep the data more or less similar, NPC's will be entered similarly so most have the same data feel. Also, the 5th entry will be faster than the first and the 10th entry will be faster than the 5th. Note, this is my least favorite method as I get bored entering the same type of data over and over again, but I think it is the 'fastest' overall.

If you want to think 'big' or 'small', you either start with the entire world (universe, ect) or with an ant walking on the world. If you start big (This is the method I am choosing to do) create the world and populate the database with 'the big picture', slowly start moving down or working in an area. Eventually the world will be populated. If you start small, build the ant, then build the ant hill, followed by the tree just outside of the ant hill and then keep getting bigger and bigger.

Like I said, I am working from the big picture down. I started with my world, I added the 15 lesser gods (the beings that literally make the world run--none of this physics crap, its all done by thinking rational beings.....is that why the forest moved , When a player character buys a map of the area they are in, I incorporate that map into Realmworks, then if they discover something, I will add that to the map and add it the database. If they meet an NPC (which I typically base the attitude of the NPC on the player characters 'charisma' stat so may be nice to one but a jerk to another). After a while, I will have a group of data that I can recycle and reuse as desired.
Mmurphy is offline   #9