Thread: Roadmap please
View Single Post
SenahBirdR

Old September 20th, 2019, 07:45 AM
Personally I think Realm Works is still the best idea for a World Management tool to date. The basic implementation is great and when I have properly taken the time to use it, my games have been stronger for it. The slow down and end of development is certainly unfortunate, but does not make me regret my purchase.

However, I probably wouldn't recommend the program to most people. Despite the power and flexibility of the program, there are a few major issues that I feel are going to be deal breakers for some of my friends. The lack of support and ease of access for players.

I also do not bother with the subscription to the server. Which I feel is probably a big reason Lone Wolf cannot prioritize this program. Without the subscriptions, there isn't the income stream to support the program. However, the long slow road of previous development depressed the willingness to give them a chance on the subs.

Even though it is on the back burner for now, I feel LWD can get this project going again and be quite successful. The biggest thing I need to start paying for a sub is for there to be the web based access for players to view my realms. I don't think web based editing is needed, though it would be a nice feature. The program basis of RW I feel makes it more useful than current and upcoming competitors when it comes to world management.

However, in my experience I am not going to get players to download a new program to view my world. In that sense, I need a web based front for players to access the information. Obsidian Portal is still the top choice of my friends for this, though a number are shifting to World Anvil and some are excited for YARPS.

Regardless, thank you for being honest about what is currently going on. I am still hopeful that Realm Works can continue development and become a powerhouse, but am prepared for it to stay where it currently is at.
SenahBirdR is offline   #54 Reply With Quote