View Single Post
monsterfurby

Old November 26th, 2014, 09:06 AM
The player version is still very barebones and definitely WIP, but just like with Hero Lab, I am starting to gain a creeping feeling that it was developed for a use case unlike that of me, my group, or any group I have ever participated in, for that matter.

The biggest issue for my players remains responsiveness. I an worried that this might be related to the was the database and overall program are set up and that it's nothing that will ever improve. This is a BIG one, and I just cannot stress enough how much a UI that feels sluggish or unresponsive can turn away users. Maybe I'm a bit too usability focused due to being an online marketing professional, but seriously, this is something that needs work.

Secondly, for me as a GM, changing around templates to fit one's group's particular campaign is way too bulky as well - there should be a possibility to start with all predesigned entry types hidden, so one can build custom entries without having to sift through a massive list half of which is not really usable for one's own purpose. This has become more of an issue since my players have started seeing the way my data is set up and suggested changes. Going through hundreds of entries to update the way they are laid out is not optimal.

On a sidenote regarding this thread, I feel that undue focus is put on having a content marketplace of sorts. I realize that some groups play in published settings and adventures, but again, my point here is that my experience in particular just doesn't really fit where the software seems to be going. I, as a GM, generally don't 'do' anything published. I adapt systems, but the rest is always custom-made. That said, I see that there's a demand for it, but I think addressing issues of usability for content creators should come before expanding content sharing.

Last edited by monsterfurby; November 26th, 2014 at 09:09 AM.
monsterfurby is offline   #35 Reply With Quote