View Single Post
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old September 14th, 2017, 11:45 AM
Ah. Sorry. I am somewhat obtuse in my writing style. I blame it on reading beyond my grade level as a child, which left me with peculiar ideas of how words should hook together. I started out doing skill bonuses in Eval blocks, but I knew that eventually, I'd need to be able to allow the person creating the character to make decisions (since some of the background bonuses offer a choice, like "+2 to Athletics or History" or "+2 to any Combat skill." So I initially cribbed some code from the 4E files, doing the choice items with fRPlusSk (I think the "R" stood for Race in that case) and SkillBonus (a tag, or at least, I think it was always a tag), which offered a straight +2 to a given skill. As I got into more esoteric cases, I realized that I needed a wider range of bonuses (they range from +1 to +2, and -1 to -2, but I went from -3 to +3 to allow later users to more readily customize their own cases), and I wanted to do all of the skill bonuses in the same type of structure (so no mixing of tags and things).

Thus, I eventually wound up with fRPlusSk, which allows the user to specify a set of Skills, a set of Skill Categories, and either a Bonus or a Penalty value (the latter doesn't show up in any of the canonical backgrounds, but it was just as easy to include it). It works like I want it, creating a single thing, which corresponds to an entry in the Skill Bonuses table, with the bonus (or penalty), and dropdown list box, which lets the user pick which skill gets the bonus (or penalty).

After that, I wanted a way to specify a more static set of bonuses and penalties so, that, for example the Neophant gets a +2 to Endurance and +1 to Athletics and Perception. I tried making each one its own bootstrap, but it's a bit of a pain in practice, at least the way I've got the editor set up now. You click on the button to edit the relevant bootstrap, it pops up the form that lets you add a bootstrap, then you select the (one possible) bootstrap and then fill in the value. So I tried streamlining it so that you could list a single bonus and multiple skills that received that bonus (assume that "penalty" is available there as well) and that's how I got fRPlusSk2, which takes in a bonus (or penalty) and a set of skill or skill types, and applies the bonuses (or penalties) to each. That basically covers the first code box. The second code box is a hypothetical implementation for a given Race, Command Package, or Background (actual blocks are generally not that complicated, capping out at three skills for a Race, four for a Command Package, and three for a Background).

The problem I currently face is that I would like to list all of the bonuses in a nice manner in the Basics tab, but my current method has one thing with multiple skills. Is there a way to make one bootstrap create multiple things? Right now, it's creating a cmpsetSB (Skill Bonus compset), which includes a SkillBonus and a UserSelect (and this might be tying into me still being a bit confused about how to make visual elements because I notice that the table has holds SkillBonus items with the pick using UserSelect).

And... I'm probably making this confusing again. Base question, if I have a single bootstrap element with multiple autotags, how do I get one item in the table for each tag that corresponds to a Skill or a SkillType? Or is it just not possible?
Duggan is offline   #3 Reply With Quote