View Single Post
Silveras

Old April 8th, 2017, 11:35 AM
I get the feeling the question is less about adding data on-the-fly at the table, and more about... where to add it at all.

In that case.. you can add as many snippets as you want to the Topics. You are not at all restricted to the initial setup of information. The "Vision" is that once a world or adventure is set up in RW, it will be "cloned" for use in an actual campaign.. and so it represents the "starting conditions". The copy used to run a game is subject to as many changes as the game goes on as you need to make.. NPCs will die, PCs will die and be replaced or raised, enemies will move from place to place, buildings may be destroyed, vehicles will change locations, rumors will be proved or disproved... the data is all subject to change as the game goes on.

If you have revealed the "Adventure Area" to the players at the Topic level, then the sections "Story" or "Additional Information" seem like good places to put in the Q&A. In cases where the Q&A takes place during an Encounter, I have put them there to reflect that the PCs got the information during the Encounter and not before/after.

A "Further Information" topic with the original as the Container can be used to add information after the fact, such as the answers to the follow-up questions.

Information about the "Adventure Area" should be easily reached from the Adventure Area Topic (both for your convenience and the players'); it should not be put somewhere that you would have to work to figure out how to get from the Adventure Area Topic to the additional information. Most often, that's going to be right on the Topic itself; sometimes, it would be in a "Further Information" Topic "under" it.

For Q&A (anticipated or not), I use a snippet per Question & Answer as a set, bolding the Question part :

Q: Question?
A: Answer

Don't forget you can also mark each snippet as True, Partially True, or False as needed (which works well for rumors). The default is that all Snippets are marked as True, so you really only need to worry about Partially True and False, which makes it easy to forget this aspect.

In the sense of kbs666's response... this isn't stuff you'd be expecting to add during play necessarily. The model for RW is mostly for players to access it between sessions. However, if this information is already in RW and is something that the players can learn, part of the prep work (to me) is to make sure that it is all prepared to be revealed.

So, to use my favorite example, there's an adventure I was adding previously (Rise of the Runelords). In one paragraph, there are a number of facts.. some of which the PCs are supposed to be told, some they may learn, and some they should probably never learn. If I just paste that paragraph in "as is", it is not very conducive to use, and I would have to scramble to add the bits of information later as I realized what each one was, and so on.

That paragraph was broken up into about 6 individually-revealable snippets, 2 or 3 of which had GM notes attached for the information that should not be revealed.

Last edited by Silveras; April 8th, 2017 at 11:38 AM.
Silveras is online now   #3 Reply With Quote