View Single Post
MNBlockHead

Old October 1st, 2016, 08:20 AM
Quote:
Quote:
The one area where there's no real way to model it in RW is things like generating random villages. This is a much less common need, from what I've seen, since the majority of GMs I've encountered don't rely on randomization for things like that. As such, it's something that we have on the "would be nice" list, as opposed to the "everybody will use this" and "most GMs will use this" lists.
Generators like what you're saying are not used by the majority of GMs are being incorporated into the Campaign Logger product. I've already invested time and money into RW so I'm not likely to switch any time soon. But they do seem to be catering more to my DMing style.
I use Cityographer for this. I will generate a random village or town based on a few settings. It includes random NPC snippets (name and few adjectives) for each home, inn, store, etc. It also randomly generate menus and items for sales, along with prices for inns and stores.

You can create your own tables to make the random lists a better fit your campaign.

I used it more early in my campaign. As I've become more confident as a DM, I find I just wing it. Rarely is there a need to have a whole village or town mapped out. The random maps start to feel very generic and I have a a bunch of small villages and towns from ENWorld, the Forge Studios, and Drive Thru RPG entered into RW for placement when needed.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #10 Reply With Quote