View Single Post
MNBlockHead

Old April 17th, 2019, 04:43 AM
1. Yikes. Didn't realize my Dell XPS 13" that I bought three years ago is old. But it is an ultralight so not really a power machine. Maybe there is still room for a desktop in my life. I do most of my heavy editing at my desk with a docking station. It isn't battery settings. I have my laptop set for full performance even when not plugged in. It only goes to power-saving mode if I manually set it to or if the battery depletes to 25% or less.

2. Going through thousands of names would be far simpler, so long as they are listed alpha-numerically. Though a type-as-you-go filter would be nice. I do it all the time in Evernote. Also, I work with legal indices with millions of tokens. As long as they are sorted and filterable, the number of items is not an issue.

What is an issue is figuring out the articles and topics that contain the name opening each one up. Opening the names-editing window for the currently open article/topic, editing the name(s), and saving.

I am regretting importing the SRD into my realm because of how onerous it has become to save my work. All the link prompts are aggravating. Yes, I can click the button to ignore further links, but then I lose the ability to link to my own created content.

3. I agree. Not my #1 priority, but they've done a lot of the work already. Also, they were talking about making it possible for DMs to edit from the Web view at some point. They are competing with companies like World Anvil, City of Brass, and eventually D&D Beyond. Since they started with a software version, if they could make a web version that supported most of the features but also maintained a software version that provided power features and the ability to sync your content and run it locally without Internet, it would be a real competitive advantage.

4 & 5 Yes. I learned early on to split up my maps. If there is a large town or city, I would see if there are specific sections or quarters, I would consider on the main map to just have a pin for each section. Clicking the pin will take you to an adventure area for that city section, which will contain a smart map for that section where the specific building pins would go.

It is a bit of work with a graphic-editing program outside of RW, but makes life easier to create and run games in RW.

In prior threads from years ago, I suggested that there be a collapsible pane appear on the right when you open a smart map that lists the titles of all the pins on the map. Similar to the table-of-contents view that shows the section titles for topics and articles. That would allow for more robust large-area maps with many locations pinned.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #7 Reply With Quote