View Single Post
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 6th, 2017, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
If you're creating HLO as an evolution are you taking a hard look at the HL XML and scripting support? HL works great if you use it straight out of the box for a supported game system using every option or with defined options presented in the various sources. However many of us don't do that. The process of getting HL to present to my players only the options allowed in my campaign has simply never worked. I write code for a living and did not go into this expecting it to be simple but I also wasn't willing to devote many hours to something as simple as disallowing certain classes/races/archetypes and adding some languages and deities.
Absolutely. The single worst part of scripting in HL is the UI components. That's been completely redone, from top to bottom. That drawback of doing that is that putting Starfinder on HLClassic would require us to rewrite the UI all over again from scratch - on an arguably inferior platform. And that's why we aren't doing that right now.

In addition, all the game system infrastructure for Starfinder has been massively overhauled. That will make extending and customizing the game system significantly easier for everyone. We can't realistically do this for existing game systems, since that would break all the custom content that's been developed for them. However, Starfinder is a brand new game system, so we have that luxury and have taken advantage of it.
rob is offline   #26 Reply With Quote