View Single Post
Noctifer

Old August 26th, 2014, 06:03 PM
Experimenting and letting things click in place, honestly, is a good way to go. I've been toying with it for a while and that's pretty much how I'm proceeding on some of my project.

Since you're using a points-based system, I'd do a quick search of the forums to see who's working on a similar points-based system, like GURPS (I know there's at least one of 'em out there). The discussions there can be very helpful.

I'd also recommend going through the tutorial. I know you're not looking to do Savage Worlds but, at least for me, just reading through that example really didn't do it for me... I had to actually follow it through a bit to get a grip with what was going on.

It may help to know what your own coding background is. If you're familiar with XML, you're already off to a great start. If you're more a PHP kinda guy, advice might be colored more in that direction.

As for the Devs... honestly, they've projects of their own they're working on they need to focus on. It's great when they can stick their heads into these forums to offer advice, but really, the advice you're looking for is likely to take some time. Time I suspect they don't have a ton of on their hands.

Poke at things, experiment, see what errors you get. Try to physically follow the tutorial to get the flow of how things work and, as your'e going through it, take down some notes on which parts are likely to help with the game system you're running. By the time you're done with the Savage Worlds tutorial, you should be pretty much ready to start modifying the skeleton files to code your own game.

I know you're eager to get started with your own game. I know trudging through the Savage Worlds tutorial is frustrating. I've hit the same walls. But work your way through it... think of it as a course on for coding for HeroLab. 'Cause it is a monster to take on.

And when you truly get stuck with a piece of coding, post the problem section into a new thread and any errors you're getting. That seems to get the most active responses. Tidbits of problems that are easy to digest and respond to are going to get more responses than a 'where do I start' question, y'know?
Noctifer is offline   #5 Reply With Quote