View Single Post
MNBlockHead

Old July 20th, 2015, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobifle View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience !

though I'm slightly surprised about the last point. A lot of internet guides to gming suggest to put faces/images of monster on NPCs and monster. They say it helps bringing characters to life.
Maybe for new players, especially those who are used to video adventure games, it might help get into the game. I've always found it to be a distraction.

One exception may be if you have a professional module with great artwork that is consistent in style throughout. For most home brew campaigns, people end up pulling stuff from multiple artists and sources that they find on line. Beyond not allowing my to enjoy how I imagine the monsters and character looks like in my mind, it also makes it less immersive when you have completely different styles making it hard to believe that all the beings and places pictured belong in the same world.

Also, as a DM whose adventures are largely homebrew, I would rather spend my limited time creating interesting encounters, background stories, and maps. I find that I have to spend a lot of time on prep to get images ready to share at the table, even if I'm only downloading and adding to the topics without any editing. It is just more game management than I want to deal with.

When I first started roleplaying in Junior High School, I used that think about how cool it would be to have sound effects, images, and other special effects. Now, with games like Skyrim, I can get my cool-game-effects fix with a good video game and am happier leaving much more to the imagination with my pen and paper role playing games.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #14 Reply With Quote