View Single Post
jfrazierjr

Old May 18th, 2017, 12:50 PM
Can someone provide a complete example and explanation of how to build magic items or something like power armor with bonuses? It would be nice to know how to do so in the editor if it can be done completely there, but even in straight XML would be fine. I checked the common code thread as I was hoping this would be something common enough to put there, but did not find anything concrete(and perhaps this could be added to that thread for others to find quickly).

So as two different examples:

• Fantasy:
    • Belt of Strength
      • Increase Strength Die by 1
      • +2 to Fighting Rolls
  • Super Powers
    • "Steel Man" Armor
      • Increase Strength Die by 2
      • +2 to Fighting Rolls
      • Power: Bolt
      • Hindrance: Slow(reduce Pace by 1)

These are two examples only and not meant for actual use, more to get some examples of how to do stuff out here. Feel free to replace the above examples with others you might have created for your own games which can explain the concepts. I checked through the Common code thread, and did not see

For example, I see all of the existing "magic items" in use currently, have a "gizmo" and I have no idea what that actually means in HeroLab terms and why it's required to make things work.

The ones I looked at have a gizmo of fcMagItemP (what does this term mean?) and they then have their own bootstraps. In the case of the Belt of Strength, it's gizmo has bootstraps of miTpBelt and mipBTrait. What are "mi" an "mip" prefixes meant to represent? Why do these have to be bootstrapped to the gizmo and not the item itself? Are there any cases where it matters and I WOULD boostrap something to the item and NOT the gizmo?

I know I will have a smallish number of existing items I will be converting from another game system to SW's settings(fantasy), so will want to get a good understanding of how this stuff interrelates.

The problem is that I don't have any full reference sources(that I know of, if there ARE some please let me know!) since the fantasy companion is a paid source and thus the source files are not available.

Thanks!
jfrazierjr is offline   #1 Reply With Quote