View Single Post
Chemlak

Old January 31st, 2015, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indus101 View Post
I'll be quick:

Thanks LWD for holding the survey and posting the results!

Bummed about calendars, but understand how democracies work.

Only question, from a technical perspective, is that aren't "Journals" really an offshoot of a robust Calendar system? Since the next big feature will hinge on the current dating system, I just hope you don't run into programming issues when you do get around to handling Calendars, as it seems they be getting built in the reverse order: aka, journals derive from a robust calendar system, not the other way around.

Know that doesn't change the survey, just wondering if the survey could have list journals as the next step that followed calendars, since both features are tied so closely.

As always, thanks for the great product! It's making my life much easier!

best,
Indus
Just going to touch on this point, as it seems to be something that's frequently forgotten.

Calendars work. They already exist in the software.

Now, as I understand it, there are some features that the Dev team want to add (mostly from the beta team's input, but also from the calendar thread), and possibly a few bugs to fix. But they're there, and they do the job.

Journals will be able to leverage new calendars when they do become available.

The issues with calendars are nothing to do with the code behind them (which is for the most part solid), and everything to do with how cumbersome and complex creating a new calendar is.

Now, I don't have any (significant) secret insights, I've never seen the calendar mechanism (I've begged!), but I can understand LWD wanting to make them significantly more user friendly (say, a calendar wizard) than direct numerical input (or whatever the current method is). Calendars are virtually useless if, the first time I try to set one up, I give up in frustration.

I have zero concerns about calendar integration in journals, because all they have to do is make sure that journals can access an already-written (but hidden from most of us) piece of the software.

Chief Calendar Champion Chemlak

Join the unofficial Realm Works IRC channel! Join #realm-works
Chemlak is offline   #25 Reply With Quote