View Single Post
Silveras

Old November 10th, 2018, 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatpuppet View Post

Small question: once I made my homebrew race how do I turn it into a «*monster file*» ?
Others have addressed this somewhat, but I am going to take a stab at the "for Dummies" version and assume you don't know what they're assuming you do.

So..

When you create a new Race in the Editor, it becomes available for selection as the "Race" on a new "Hero" (which can actually be a Monster).

New Hero + Race = Generic version of that Race / Monster.

The Bestiary Monster Builder lets you bypass the "Create the base Race" part of the process and skip to "Generic version of that Race / Monster". However, as it is set up, that's just like having a one-character Portfolio; it assumes the new race is a one-off and not intended for re-use.

What others have talked about is saving the file so you can open HeroLab later and import that "one-off" into a new Portfolio and use it as the basis for a new Hero or Monster.

The creatures that appear in the Encounter Builder are drawn from Stock Portfolios. A Stock Portfolio is just a regular .por file with the extension of .stock instead of .por. Placing them in the core data area makes the available to add the creature to Encounters in the Encounter Builder.

So... using the example name "MyMonster" take your "MyMonster.por" file, rename it to "MyMonster.stock". and move it to the appropriate data folder.

If you have a few, you may want to consolidate them into one portfolio file with an easy to recognize name like "My Custom Monsters - [Campaign Name].stock"

Hope that helps you and anyone else wondering.
Silveras is offline   #8 Reply With Quote