View Single Post
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 15th, 2015, 09:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking2054 View Post
Out of curiosity, how hard would it be to turn on/off the encryption of user entered data? I'm guessing that if he could simply turn off the encryption for his own content then he could theoretically write his own export/dump requests until you guys at LWD got around to giving us an export feature. Of course I would expect third party content we purchase off the market to not be affected by such a theoretically simple feature. You could potentially make the guy happy and just maybe he could provide some tools to the community as a stopgap for those that want to complain about exporting their stuff.
How do we ensure that users are only ever allowed to apply this to THEIR content? How do we make sure someone can't exploit this capability to readily gain access to published content? Any openings we introduce like this become potential attack vectors for hackers, so we have to make sure they are well-conceived and carefully protected against such attacks. That process requires lots of thought, and usually lots of accompanying work, turning what seems like a simple and useful solution on the surface into a typically very complex problem to solve correctly.

I'm not trying to be dismissive of the idea. It's both appreciated and a good one in principle. The gotcha is that the devil's in the details, and things that seem easy at first often become nasty to solve once we really dig into them. This particular idea is a perfect example, and we run into these gotchas all the time with a product as complex and diverse as Realm Works. In fact, these sorts of gotchas are the primary source of all the delays we've incurred over the past few years.
rob is offline   #18 Reply With Quote